If you decide, you want to be a leader, it’s important to realize, how important and essential, it is, to maintain the utmost willingness, to be flexible, enough, to consider alternatives and options, thoroughly and completely, while focusing on developing and implementing the finest possible, strategic and action plans! In my, over four decades, of involvement in nearly every aspect of leadership, from identifying, creating and developing, to consulting, and meaningful service, I have determined, perhaps, the biggest enemy of quality leaders, is their unwillingness, and/ or inability, to abandon, the simplistic, My way or the highway, manner, and often, restricting their possibilities, by remaining within the comforts of their personal comfort zone! Rather than merely proceeding, with the same – old, same – old ways, we need leaders, who adapt to changing times and needs/ priorities, and become committed to genuine, relevant, FLUID leadership! With that in mind, this article will briefly, consider, review, and discuss, using the mnemonic approach, why this is so essential and necessary.
1. Future; face facts: While quality leaders must understand, respect, and heed the history and heritage of the specific organization, they must, simultaneously, proceed, in an evolutionary way, which permits a relevant, sustainable plan, to create the best possible future! However, although it’s important to proceed with a true, positive, can – do, attitude, a real leader must never bury – his – head in the sand, and consistently, recognize and face the facts, addressing them, in a solutions – oriented manner!
2. Listen; learn: Far too often, those serving in positions of leadership, are either, unwilling, or not ready, to listen, far more than they speak, and committing, absolutely, to learn, from every conversation and/ or experience!
3. Useful; usable; unique: Unless one is ready and willing, to adapt to the best path of action, etc, how can he possibly provide useful leadership! When one remains, flexible and fluid, he won’t provide usable solutions, etc! However, it is incumbent upon any leader, to put his unique touch, in a positive way, focused on the group’s best interests!
4. Ideas; imagination; intentions; integrity: When ideas become far more meaningful than mere rhetoric, and one proceeds, with a level of imagination, to consider viable options and alternatives, the potential, to be a better leader, is enhanced significantly! Constituents – focused intentions, combined with absolute integrity, and strategic planning, creates the types of leaders, we need and deserve!
5. Delve deeply; deliver: One must go beyond the obvious and/ or surface observations, and commit to delving deeply, into what might best serve, the interests of those he represents! A meaningful, relevant, fluid leader, always under – promises, and over – delivers!
Will you become the FLUID leader, organizations, and constituents, need and deserve? Are you ready, willing and able, to be up to the task?
Richard has owned businesses, been a COO, CEO, Director of Development, consultant, professionally run events, consulted to thousands of leaders, and conducted personal development seminars, for 4 decades. Rich has written three books and thousands of articles. His company, PLAN2LEAD, LLC has an informative website http://plan2lead.net and Plan2lead can also be followed on Facebook http://facebook.com/Plan2lead
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/expert/Richard_Brody/492539
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/9888619